I have to say we are now "keeping up with the Franklins"....literally!!!
Tonight for the first time in our life, both of my boys and myself were on bicycles....at the same time!
I have had bikes for the boys for a few years now, but have never gotten to get them out for use. When I was first given them, I was putting on the training wheels, when we had a car accident and my right wrist ended up in a cast. So, no using my toolbox for awhile!
Then we moved and the bikes have been in the storage closet ever since. On our last trip to OPK, we took the bikes along so that the boys might become more interested in learning to ride (with the encouragement of their friends Little Artist and Lego Master). After much protest, they finally accepted the idea of learning WITHOUT the training wheels. Since everyone only REALLY learns without them....and I couldn't fit the bikes in the trunk with them on!
Tonight was the third night of the boys "trying out" their bikes. I am VERY PROUD of them because they were sharing N's bike most of the time because J's bike chain fell off. I was able to get the chain on and had to tighten it to stay on (it kept falling off even after I kept putting it back on...argh). They both hopped on and were pedaling around.
Next thing you know they say, "Mom, I sure hope you remember how to ride a bike." Now that may seem funny to hear from them...but I was actually wondering about that myself! It HAS been 11 years since I have been on a bike.
BUT, I am here to tell you that the old saying IS INDEED TRUE:
"Once you learn how to ride a bike, you never forget!"
3 comments:
Cool! Although our kids are the only ones with bikes now. We got rid of ours in Indiana. I'm so happy to hear that you and boys are having a good time and enjoying your bikes! KUDOS to you all!
That's cool. I haven't ridden in eleven years either, so that is comforting to know.
The first time I rode without training wheels I hit a moving RV. It's all uphill from there (which isn't necessarily good news on a bike :)... ).
Every boy needs the experience of riding a bike...especially without training wheels. That is a good family fun thing to do together.
Post a Comment