Sunday, May 01, 2005

Take a risk; Diving in

In service last night, there was a real diving board strung up above the stage. I knew from leading music with the Kidz ministry, that the adult service was doing the song "Dive" from Steven Curtis Chapman, so I wasn't completely surprised to see the stage decor.

However, I was sparked to adjust my approach to seeking God, yet again....something my pastor is very good at doing. He mentioned that no matter what our image of God is in our mind, due to our past upbringing or unpleasant experiences; we should take a risk and take a step to seek God as he is described in the Bible.

Even though we refer to God in the male pronoun (this would be another language lesson!), the Bible says man was created in His image, "...male AND female, He created them.". The example of a mother hen provided protection from a storm to her chicks was profound. The example of the prodigal's father was just as profound. God is our LOVING father. He only wants to provide what a loving parent would do for their child.

How many times do we keep God in the box or picture that was drawn for us in our upbringing? For some of us to take a step...will be like diving into the unknown. But we are all here to do life together and encourage one another. We were challenged this week to pray every day that God would reveal Himself to us in a personal way. A way that we can adjust our focus from the past and seek HIM.

4 comments:

shakedust said...

I am not sure about the Hebrew, but the Greek usually uses a masculine noun to describe God. :)

Back to the point, though, I agree that we let a lot of preconceptions get in the way of seeking God. A lot are cultural and I also think that each person has a small set of preconceptions unique to them that they have to deal with as well.

I do long that I could accept God for who He is rather than who I think He is.

roamingwriter said...

I always feel like I have way too small and shallow a view of God. We can go so much deeper than we do. And when you do go deeper there's always more of Him!

T said...

The trap I have fall into from time to time is that I know "He's a big Big GOD" but I find myself putting in my order like I'm at a restaurant. All to often a fast food restaurant. I want a peace, security, and an extra large financial boost to go!

I am always glad when I have taken time to come back to recognizing that my life is much easier when my focus goes off of the "list" that I want or think I need, and onto His will. Which by the way, always includes peace, security, sometimes even a financial boost---with lots more goodies that I didn't even know where available!

Jadee said...

T, that kind of reminds me of our kid's song...Big House! "...it's a big, big house with lots and lots of room....big, big table with lots and lots of food...big, big yard....It's MY FATHER's HOUSE!" He has /will provide so much more than we can comprehend.

Seriously, though, I am realizing that God is so much different than the authoritarian that I perceived from my upbringing. Also, that is where I am learning that the legalism I grew up is not quite all the denomination's fault as was the teachings from my mother.