Friday, May 06, 2005

Guilt by Association?

The parent company which has their name attached to my company's name has been in the news for some time now due to internal investigations on fraudulent activities from the president and his sons. So, now the company decided to send out an Ethics Course to be completed online (with a deadline, of course). Too little, too late? And, shouldn't we have started with the top level executives on down?

Okay, so....we all take this Ethics Course, and it shows that we are all ethical employees. That doesn't change the fact we carry "guilt by assocation". How do we show our clients that ABC Company is still run by its own CEO and that we are ethical employees? Maybe we should tell them we passed our Ethics Course! I say we give the Ethics Course as part of the background check if its going to be required.

The sad thing is...this is the world we live in. I know we can all think of company investigations and white-collar crime. And those people serve their time in a white-collar prison. Sounds like we as a society and government really don't insist on severe consequences for unethical business practices. Doesn't that come back to the Ten Commandments...thou shalt not lie...and thou shalt not steal? No wonder the government wants to remove the Ten Commandments from courthouses!!

Unfortunately, this doesn't exclude the religious, non-profit ministries/organizations. We have a local woman under tax fraud investigations for her world-wide ministry. What happened to that line and knowing not to cross it? How do our actions show that we are different? Guilt by association?

I will get off my soapbox with the lyrics of a song our chorus is doing for service next week: "...I'm gonna be a history maker in this land....I'm gonna be a SPEAKER of TRUTH to all mankind...I'm gonna stand...I'm gonna run into HIS arms..." Now that's the association I want to be guilty of!

3 comments:

T said...

good food for thought. Thanks.

GoldenSunrise said...

Has someone suggested dropping the parent company's name from your company's name? Probably someone high up has to approve a name change and the parent company may not like that.

Your office should produce your own letterhead/labels internally. : )

roamingwriter said...

I did hear a man speak who was busted on white collar crime and had to do some time in prison. He said - really, it's not fun even in a lesser security prison. He was joe corporate and was sad and miserable. If you do the crime....you know the rest.