Yesterday, in my hurry to get the boys to school since I had to be at the hospital for my (hopefully last) ultrasound, I gave in and allowed them to have a donut for breakfast. Now, I usually have been making them some scrambled eggs so they have some protein to start off their day. I have found a tremendous improvement in their behavior by taking them off the sugar cereals, poptarts, and processed lunch meats.
But as I said, they had a donut for breakfast. I regretted my decision as soon as we reached the car. They were already arguing over who could get in which side of the car, and your backpack is touching me, etc! As our morning tradition, I pray for our day. I could see I was going to need some backup for this morning. Without thinking, I told my oldest to pray for his day and his attitude. Listening to him pray warmed my heart. He prayed in a way that a child would and was so sincere. It encouraged me! Next, it was my youngest's turn to pray. With a tiny bit of attitude, he said, "Dear God" period. Again I told him to pray because his actions were not respectful. He did. And as simple as it was, I could hear the change of attitude in his voice. Amazing how much POWER there really is in a simple prayer.
I am thankful that God has been showing me these little things, because after the last month and a half, it has been real tough to remember to keep my focus on Him.
3 comments:
It is amazing how a simple prayer in the morning can change your attitude and outlook for the day.
What an awesome thing to instill in your boys at a young age.
Without prayer, I don't know where I'd be. I'm learning to take my fears, frustrations, anger to God...like a child. I'm learning to listen and to let go too.
This is awesome that you do this with the boys, like you said an attitude can change right in front of you with a small prayer!
Awesome.
Post a Comment