After I dropped the boys off to their dad's house, I made my annual trip to the mall. I rarely go anymore, for several reasons. But tonight, it was kind of fun!
I was stopped and asked to complete a survey for being a TGI Friday's customer. When I said yes, I was escorted to a small consumer research company survey room. I completed the survey including critiquing several TV commercials...MY FAVORITE! Ironically, I already hate the Friday's commercial...so I certainly gave my full opinion...LOL! And, hey, they gave me $5 for it too! After asking for an application for part-time work, the manager was thrilled to learn of my Marketing degree and said I would be paid more per hour. COOL!
So off I went with my crisp $5 bill and headed to the food court. Ahhh....Panda Express still tastes as good as it ever did! As I sat there enjoying my dinner, I watched all the activity around me. This is what I observed:
- America is obsessed with cell phones...and that is for text messaging, not phone calls. I counted 8 people walking and texting at the same time. (I'm guilty too!)
- The mall is still "THE PLACE" to be when you are a teenager. (No wonder I don't care to go the mall much anymore.)
- PDA is still alive in America's youth....to the point of stumbling over each other while walking. (And they think that is romantic? LOL!)
- PDA is no longer boy-girl...thanks to society's liberalism...I saw two girl-girl couples. (And this is not like when we hooked arm-in-arm in camaraderie.)
- Mohawks are definitely back. (YUK!)
- Ten & twelve year olds already have permanent tattoos. (I guess their parents think they are being "cool parents"?)
It's amazing what you can learn, when you sit still and observe your surroundings. That was definitely enough for me until I make my one trip to the mall next year! =)
5 comments:
N's been hounding me for a mall trip. Hmmmm. I am not sure that's my idea of a fun night!? Although the last few times I've been I've not observed what you observed, but I also wasn't in the food court area so maybe that's why.
I tend to go for a specific reason/item. A dress for N or a restaurant we like, glasses for C, Shoes (I didn't end up getting.) Oh well.
I wonder what a tattoo that a person gets at ten years old looks like when he is thirty.
I don't know...but can you only imagine how this generation is going to look with all the plastic enhancements and tattoos when their skin starts to wrinkle over the years. EEK!
I love people watching at the mall. So many interesting characters.
I also love doing the surveys at the mall for money. The Battlefield Mall in Spfld. was good for that.
The cellphone disease exists in Spain and PDA is multi-generational which I find funny. I tend to go to the mall for a specific reason or not at all. We do tend to go more in the summer when it's really hot and you just want to get out and walk around. There's a mall here with a ski slope in it - haven't been there yet, but the 90s are coming, so I bet we go.
Post a Comment