Sunday, February 05, 2006

Pre-Superbowl Ads

Since everyone knows that my degree is in Marketing and my emphasis was Advertising....I am a Superbowl fan by default. After my Advertising Class with Nancy Pace-Miller, our assignment was to watch the Superbowl ads, record each one of them, critique and list pros/cons to each. After doing this for a couple of years, I actually got into watching the game! =D

So, here is a snapshot of a couple of ads that caught my attention this weekend BEFORE the debut of new ad campaigns:

1. Walmart is using the subliminal "Smiley Face" in each scene of their ads. Good way to outsmart the negative publicity they received over the holidays.

2. Old-Spice Body and Shampoo gel for men decided to forget just the "sex sells" idea and is promoting "cheating on their wives". I was abhored at the idea. The wife is getting ready and asks her husband who is in the shower, "if you were to be with one of my friends, which one would it be?" He gets an odd look on his face and hurries to finish his shower, with no response. This needs to be taken off the air.

3. The best one I saw was for an auto commercial. Obviously, it did such a Great Job that I don't even know the brand...lol! But you see 4 beautiful 30-somethings in the 4-door mini SUV/car, cruising along. The ladies are laughing and pull up to the hotspot with valet parking. The driver smiles at the guy and says "you'll take care of my baby, won't you?" He looks at her stunned and realizes she is Pregnant! And so are all of her girlfriends! The point of course, was that you could fit 4 or 8 or maybe even 12 comfortably! I loved it! Just too bad I have no idea which auto company it is....LOL!

5 comments:

T said...

so your favorite one is the one with ALL the women pregnant? HUM....should I as a person who has taken some psychology courses read anything into that!?

Jadee said...

What I meant was the poor guy was standing there with the odd look on his face! And the fact that truly there WERE 8 passengers!!

shakedust said...

Aren't psychology and marketing roughly equivalent? I'd read into it that someone has a subconscious love for minivans.

Jadee said...

Yes, Marketing is considered "the psychology of business".

BUT, there are NO SUBCONSCIENCE loving thoughts for minivans!!!!

Even though ALL my friends have minivans, I do not like minivans for myself!!! Besides, this ad was designed like a car yet looked like a mini-SUV....NOT a mini-van! =D

I guess maybe a minivan is on your Baby Registry? LOL!

GoldenSunrise said...

We want to stay away from minivans as long as we can! They are too expensive.