Thursday, January 19, 2006

Alternating Emotions

A few days ago, I came up to the second level in my parking garage to leave work, when I noticed my car was double sandwiched between 4 "high class" cars. Two Lexus, a Mercedes, and a Volvo. Of course, I am embarrassed about driving my car with a hole in the plastic bumpter...so I felt even more intimidated going to my "broken" car beside the "fancy" cars. I did think how grateful I was that I had a dependable car to drive to work, and tried to remind myself that usually my car looks pretty good but looks don't get you from point A to point B.

Yesterday, I was halted in my path because my car wouldn't start. Instead of feeling panicked, I simply called my roadside assist and ordered lunch next door. I was quickly brought down to earth, when the "assist truck" pulled beside the Mercedes and proceded to "jump" my "broken" car. I did let it run for 20 mins as he suggested to ensure the charge took hold. However, I did go back to feeling glad I was safe in my parking garage and not on the side of the road.

Three and a half hours later, when I left work, my car wouldn't start again. Now, I am dreading it is indeed the alternator. I figure if I can get it jumped again, then I can get my boys from daycare and then safely home. After calling a friend to see about bringing my car to his shop in the morning...I feel relieved because if it IS the alternator, he volunteered to help me out in getting it replaced. My bedtime prayer was to "let my car start in the morning, so I can take the boys to school and get to the car place".

This morning, my car started right up. Just like it was ready to go to the races! After a quick diagnostic test, it was discovered that my battery box had come loose from the cables. (I told the assist guy this yesterday...that I thought it should be checked). I was told since my battery is a side-mounted battery, that it is quite common for this to happen. I left the shop in a shout of jubillee because the owner didn't even charge me for the testing. He said, "See ya, bye-bye. Come back when you have a real problem to fix!" LOL!

3 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

Glad that it was only a cable problem. I actually had that happen to me once. I felt stupid but yet happy that that was all the problem was.

Jadee said...

I forgot to mention that my boss was concerned for me yesterday, then acted put out because it was something simple like that!

T said...

I'm glad that it was the cable and not the alternator. YAY!