Friday, November 18, 2005

Flashbacks

K...bear with me! I really am uncovering new growth. It's really strange how I feel but everywhere I turn I am seeing something that instantly transports back in time. Usually to some personal point in my life. Sometimes, I feel I am grown and confident. Other times, I feel young and unsure of life. I believe the pendulum is slowing its swing...

I walked out to leave for lunch and I saw a bumper sticker on a van that said "De Colores". This took me back to my Emmaus Walk in Indiana several years ago. Ironically, I have been going through more emotions as I did back at that time of my life. Remembering back was good for me to realize that I have gone from "fully processing emotionally" to "staying in control of my emotions to process more logically", that now I am learning how to "feel" my emotions again.

While I was out, I heard a song on the radio (which of course, is the 80's Hour) and remembered when I heard that song. It was on my first "Day-after-Thanksgiving-Shopping-Trip". I had met a friend at our winter youth retreat and I was actually granted permission to go with them when they invited me to go along. This adventure began at 6:30 am. But I had so much fun and experienced a taste of grown-up freedom! (of course, I wasn't allowed to listen to "secular" music)

Walking back into the office building, I caught a whiff of fresh paint. This took me straight to my childhood, as my father owned his own painting business. Ah...such memories came with that flashback. As a young girl, my dad always told me I was able to do whatever I put my mind to doing. He was my inspiration in completing college.

I think the lyrics of Faith Hill's song fits me well today:

Wild One
They said change your clothes
She said no I won't
They said comb your hair
She said some kids don't
And her parents dreams went up in smoke

They said you can't leave
She said yes I will
They said don't see him
She said his name is Bill (Paul)
She's on a roll and it's all uphill

She's a wild one
With an angel's face
She's a woman-child
In a state of grace
When she was 3 years old on her daddy's knee
He said you can be anything you want to be
She's a wild one
Runnin' free

She loves Rock and Roll
They said it's Satan's tongue
She thinks they're too old
They think she's too young
And the battle lines are clearly drawn

She's a wild one
With an angel's face
She's a woman-child
In a state of grace
When she was 3 years old on her daddy's knee
He said you can be anything you want to be
She's a wild one
Runnin' free
She has future plans and dreams at night
When they tell her life is hard she says that's alright
She's a wild one
With an angel's face
She's a woman-child
In a state of grace
When she was 3 years old on her daddy's knee
He said you can be anything you want to be
She's a wild one
Runnin' free

2 comments:

T said...

ahhhh memories. Like the corners of my mind. Misty water colored memories of the way things use to be!

Jadee said...

kind of reminds me of the song...Watercolor Ponies...