Thursday, November 17, 2005

I figured it out...

The other day it was mentioned about mistyping the "word verifications". I think that I figured out why it is sometimes difficult to type it correctly.

We tend to read from memory alot and type words that we expect to be coming along. Since the "word verifications" are not actual words, it is more difficult for our brain to process what we should be typing.

I was sent an email last year that gave a perfect example of this. Each word was misspelled, but the first and last letter were in place. The key point was that we could still "read" the email. The boys are being taught to use their best-guess spelling right now, in order to encourage them to do their writing assignments.

Not sure how I feel about this...since I want them to learn to do both! LOL!

2 comments:

T said...

AHHHH best guest spelling is what nick had in K and 1 and why she was FLUNKING spelling last year! Her tutor was talking about it off-handed that some kids are taught that way and it really messes them up and I said "that's the curriculm she had in k and 1" She said, "that explains a lot." MAKE THEM SPELL THE WORDS RIGHT. You'll be glad you did later on when they aren't flunking spelling!

BTW, she got an A last quarter and has only seen her tutor a couple of times, so she is correcting the way she learned, but her overall writings still lack. It's taking her a lot of work to get where she needs to be, and she has a lot of hard work a head of her because of it.

Chan's learning to spell stuff right, and not having to write a lot yet because they are learning to spell. When they do write except for one paper on Monday's that's their weekend news, they copy stuff. He's learning spelling a lot easier then Nick. They also have them being tested on words that aren't real for sound recognition, so he'd probably never mess up on word verification! they put several "not real words" on a paper and have to sound them out. (I don't know how I feel about that, but since they are also learning site words he's getting both learning styles and is a better reader then N was at this age too....we shall see?)

Jadee said...

Yeah, the real way to "proof-read" is to go backwards line by line. This is how I was taught. That way you actually do "catch" the misspelled word...and your mind doesn't "read" it and go on.