Sunday, November 13, 2005

Age of Accountability

It was very late last night when we headed home from our friend's house. My oldest was watching the moon and discovering it moved according to the directions the car turned.

Mesmerized by looking up at the sky, he asked me, "Mom, how is it that I just know things sometimes?" I asked like what kind of things. He said, "you know...just things sometimes...I just know what might happen or understand that other things could happen." Talk about a loaded question!!!

I went on to explain about the Trinity and how the Holy Spirit is our guide in our heart. I also explained that such sensitivity and knowledge is a gift from God. I was really thrilled to hear him express this with me. As I have discussed on many occasions with my best friend and prayer partner, we desperately wish our children to be blessed with a deep understanding and connection with God, just as it has been with us even as children.

Later that night, as I lay in bed thinking over the conversation...I realized I was just about his age when the depth/hugeness of God seemed to become clear to me. I was 8 and in second grade when I started writing songs to God. I would play out on the swingset and look up at the clouds for hours....and get tears in my eyes without even knowing why. Now I can remember that I was communing with God in my own special way. How unique and special of a time that was for me as a child.

It is still just as unique and special for me now as an adult. I am being reminded of that simple child-like faith that the Bible talks about. What a refreshing opportunity for me as a "middle-aged" (lol) adult to receive!

I know my kids are blessed with natural talent of music and singing...something I know God gave me at a young age as well. Last week, N told me he was writing a song to God, and would I type it for him. Of course, I did. He has his own folder marked with his name. Just a few moments ago, he said he need to add to his song. At first, I wasn't sure what he was talking about...but then he told me HIS song he was writing! So now we have the Title, Chorus, and First verse. I am very proud of him! (and pleased as punch that he is taking after his mom...lol!)

hmmm...wonder where my handwritten songs are? maybe I should type them up too!

1 comment:

T said...

I know that these type of conversations are happening more frequently at our house. It's cool to watch your children evolve and have them express their thoughts and views on what they are learning and knowing. Especially when they are having a chance to be creative too.