Forewarning...This will be a post from my soap box!
I have been reading a book called "The Emotionally Healthy Church" by Peter Scazzero, in preparation for our Leadership Seminar at my church. Anyone in a leadership position, even in Kidz Ministry will be attending, and since the author is our speaker, he has requested we read this beforehand. That could seem a little cocky, I know..."please read my book before you come listen to me speak"...but as I am getting into the book, I can see why he has asked us to do so.
Second, since I commented a "mini-post" on Dust's blog...I thought I better bring my thoughts to a safer spot so as not to ignite a "heated discussion" over there...LOL!
Third, one of our pastors preached on "Being too busy to listen/hear God"...and use the example of Martha in the Bible. (I will come back to this)
I remember the day that "emotionally" or "healthy", let alone "emotionally healthy" would have been phrases ONLY heard in the "psychologist's office". And if one was a "real Christian" they would never be seen by a psychologist. Church people had God to help them through "trials and tribulations" that supposedly were only brought on by our lack of "hearing" God. We made a mistake in obedience and now we just had to "suffer" through it as Christ suffered on the cross. Sound familiar? If it doesn't...I am very glad. If it does...you may have lived under the shadow of the "Blue Vatican"like me! =D
Anyway, the pastor's point in bringing up Martha was enlightening to me...despite it being my mother's name!
1. Martha was too busy "trying to do all the right things".
2. Martha was trying to "be the perfect hostess".
3. Martha was trying to "make Mary be the right person".
4. Martha was "worried about what Christ would think being in her home".
5. Martha continued her activities of "busyness" even after Christ told her differently in rebuke of her scolding Mary.
My observation is this: How is it we are supposed to follow other's examples when we clearly see a different example from Christ?
1. Martha was doing "works" instead of following.
2. Martha was trying to be something on her own without Him.
3. Martha was crossing boundaries with Mary (and judging Mary's actions)
4. Martha was "fretting".
5. Martha was "not listening" to Christ's admonition.
Christ wishes for us to be healthy in all things; physical, mental, spiritual. The author's quest for emotional health is tied to the spiritual realm. Our heart and soul is where we experience emotion. To keep everything in balance and continue our spiritual growth, it requires taking care of ourselves in all aspects of life, even our emotional health.
4 comments:
We are supposed to be like Mary and sit at Jesus' feet.
My natural tendencies are to be like Martha and worry. I have to stop myself when I get in that mode and remember to wait on Him.
Yes, I believe I've heard from this box before! But I agree we do have to strive to be healthy in all aspects of our lives. Sometimes it's easier said then done. Sometimes we are required to do as Mary did and sit at Jesus' feet, other times we're called into action. But both require listening to God and following His way verses our own. Sometimes it doesn't make since, but fits perfectly into our lives in the end.
It's hard to keep a balance in life, especially emotionally. Martha and Mary are both aspects we can use at different times in life. I read a great book, Martha to the Max, by Debi Stack through Moody Press. It had lots of humor but was helpful for someone who tends to be too much Martha and not enough Mary.
I've enjoyed reading your comments about Mary and Martha.
Special thanks to "roaming writers" for the positive comments on my first book, "Martha to the Max: Balanced Living for Perfectionists." Your profile sounds a lot like someone I know!
Because God's love is never maxed out,
Debi Stack
www.maxedout.net
Post a Comment