I just watched the movie CLICK starring Adam Sandler tonight, and I got to thinking (after crying, that is...lol!) Without giving away the movie, I will try to keep my surmising to a minimal.
What if we really could "fast-forward" parts of our life?
Don't we already try to do that in society today? We have revolutionized the Fast Food Industry and Pay at the Pump features...along with drive-thru pharmacies. (Now, I think that Walgreen's was genius for that idea...because who really feels like going INTO the store when you are sick...and who wants to shop around sick people?? NOT ME!)
And what if we really did run on "auto-pilot"?
Don't we already function in many tasks without realizing what we are doing? Many times, I have found myself driving home and pulling into the parking space without "remembering" the actual driving part of the trip. Scary, huh?
I think we can apply this "auto-pilot" mode to several areas of our lives. For example, this is for those of you that are married/or were married...don't we get into a rut of the goodnight kiss, etc? Isn't it more "going through the motions"? (you will get a kick out of this topic in the movie)
What about our parenting? Don't we say "humm?" or "what do you want?" automatically...then realize that we did hear what they asked? I know I have given my children the automatic answer of No, then realized that wasn't the right response...lol!
What about in our spiritual life? We pray automatically for our meals....even in public. We pray for God's blessing on our day and for protection for our kids. We pray for our "needs" and always have plenty of requests for God...but what about just true communication with HIM? My father instilled in me at a young age to not just go to God "asking" for things...but tell Him, how thankful you are first. It does show appreciation....just as you would feel if your child thanked for you for a great meal BEFORE asking for ice cream!
Anyway, I have lived much of my life just "waiting" to get to that next point or goal in my life. I was married to someone who also lived that way. Then during the three agonizing years of my divorce case, I really did live in wait for the finalization. However, after reaching that point, I made it my goal to establish a "home" for my children.
Today, I celebrate that mile-marker by signing my 4th year lease in our apartment. Next year will be the year, I have dreamed of owning my own home. It has been and will continue to be a step-by-step process as I have learned to make the short-term goals WITHIN the long-term goals. I don't want to live on "auto-pilot" and just be working a job to reach my goals and miss out LIVING life with my boys!
Honestly, when I was working my job by focusing on 6-month increments...I was there almost 3 years. And in God's time, He brought me to a new position, which far exceeds my expectations or dreams. What if I had only "wished away" or "fast-forwarded" my life to this point? I sure would have missed on a lot of God's miracles!!!!
I challenge you to slow down and live life with your family. Take time for communication with God. Don't CLICK to the next chapter in your life. You may not be prepared for that next segment. Trust HIM! He is the author of your biography.
6 comments:
I love fast food and drive-thru pharmacies! :)
Regarding marriage, I think it may be possible to get into a rut. It's one thing to do the same thing every day and it's another thing to take your routine with your significant other a for granted. I hope I haven't done the latter.
Parenting... I'll know later. :)
In my everyday life I have a pretty constant conversation with God. It is probably mostly seflish conversation (I haven't analyzed it too much), but I think that this can make the routineness of other prayers not impact the relationship and view of God as much.
Everyday, I try to start my morning with prayer that really does set the tone for the day to keep that "attitude of prayer" with Him. For example, I always ask God to remove my humanness from me so that He can fill me as His empty/willing vessel, and to bring those across my path that He wants my life to touch.
When I worked retail, I saw more of His hand in my daily life. Then for the last several years, I ran an office where I didn't touch many lives. Now, I am awed to be in the warehousing industry that will provide the opportunity to touch many more lives....especially since I am the event planner! ;)
PS. Let me know what you think of the movie!!!
I'll try to remember when I get around to seeing it. :)
I am looking forward to seeing this movie. It looks and now sounds as if it will be a good thought provoking movie.
I know what you mean about always wanting the next thing to happen. I was really bad about that when I was little. I have grown to not get so anxious about things now, maybe that's something you learn with age?
Now that I have NJ, I don't have anymore "next things" to check off my list. Maybe that is bad that I don't have anymore goals.
I bet Dust put the movie on our que for Blockbuster.
You may find yourself wishing you could "click" through the stages though...lol! Holding his own bottle - feeding himself finger food - potty trained!!! Then its getting dressed on his own - tying his own shoes - fixing his own sandwich!!! Trust me...there will be those moments! But I am VERY HAPPY to hear motherhood is agreeing with you! I can't wait to come back over and see him! =)
Post a Comment