Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Growing UP!

I remember the days when I couldn't wait for my boys to grow up a bit. It was very hard toting two toddlers (14-months apart) around. I have been noticing changes in there maturity and grasp of concepts. I can see now how much they really grew up during my illness.

Sunday was a monumental day for us.

I awoke with a terrible allergy/sinus headache and my youngest son was sniffling as well. I cancelled our carpool for church, realizing I need to rest. Then my oldest walked into my room, fully dressed in a suit and tie, with his dress shoes on! (mind you, he was wearing a white t-shirt with his tie) When I told him we weren't going to church, he was VERY disappointed. He huffed, "then I got dressed for no reason! I really wanted to go to church today." Quickly, I called Ms. A to see how far away they were and that N was dressed in a suit for church. Immediately, she told Mr. N to turn around and come back.

How adorable it was to watch my oldest (no longer a baby) standing and waiting for his ride to church; gently tapping the toe of his shiny dress shoes and humming. Then he said "Bye Mom" and walked down the stairs to the van.

As much as this should have saddened me in this realization, I actually thoroughly enjoyed my one-on-one time with my youngest. Something I never get to do. I asked J if he would like to help me in the kitchen with lunch. He looked around and thought about it for a moment, then decided yes. This was his first time to help unload the dishwasher. (since his older brother usually jumps in first) Later, he stirred the eggs in a bowl for the fried rice that I was making. He had such a big grin on his face and his eyes were sparkly at the realization that he too, could help out, because he is not a baby anymore.

I love my boys!!!! (just in case you couldn't figure that one out, duh!)

2 comments:

T said...

younger ones tend to be pretty okay with others doing stuff instead of them! But it's cool when they break out and realize they too can do things.

GoldenSunrise said...

You are reaping the rewards of great parenting skills. Doesn't it do your heart good to hear your son wanting to go to church?