Current mood: satisfied
Category: Goals, Plans, Hopes
So this was the best Christmas I think I have ever had with my boys!
Since 7 years ago...we were on our own having become a single mom just a month before Christmas....that was rough. Then we were all sick in 2001, but we had new friends from church that "brought Christmas to us". In 2002, we had just survived a serious car accident 2 months earlier and I was still wearing a cast on my right wrist/arm, and still out of work on short-term disability. The year 2003, I was sick with pneumonia having just moved apartments in October after finalizing the divorce. Even though I was employed at Christmas, I had been unemployed for 4 1/2 months during the year, so things were really tight financially with all the court costs. In 2004, I was dating someone that added alot to our Christmas, even though it was all long-distance. For once, the boys had extra gifts to be "Santa Presents". After being very ill and in the hospital for 15 days and off of work for 7 weeks, Christmas was not that much fun, even though I was grateful to be alive. Last year was one of the worst years for Christmas, since I lost my job just 10 days prior.
This year, 2007, I am actually HAPPY! I have a great job with a great company. I was able to actually go and buy something for each of my boys! I was actually able to cook a REAL CHRISTMAS Dinner! We had turkey, homemade mashed potatoes, dressing, green bean casserole, rolls, and pecan pie. During the weekend leading up to Christmas Day, the boys and I got to do so many things that I have always wanted to do with them. We went to a movie at the "real" theater (as the boys call it...since its not the dollar movie with ONE show)! We saw "Alvin and the Chipmunks" and had a blast!!! We also got to put together a gingerbread house...something I have always wanted to do ever since I was a girl. On Christmas Eve, we made our traditional cut-out Christmas Cookies and decorated all 70 of them!
In past years, Christmas has always been hard for me emotionally, since we have no family nearby. Its been extremely difficult when the boys are gone. But I realized that even though I am a single mom...the boys and I are "OUR FAMILY"! It is up to me to make our Christmas traditions. So we did! And even though, the boys are now gone for 5 days...I feel the ultimate fulfillment!
2 comments:
Merry Christmas! It sounds like you have had a wonderful holiday! I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful time. Even though we live near family, our holiday was similar--we didn't do anything with anyone else because our family Christmas is this weekend. But we had fun the 4 of us.
Glad you had a wonderful Christmas! I hope this new year treats you well.
Post a Comment