Thursday, August 17, 2006

Back to School, Routines, and Growing UP!

Okay, okay, ya'll! I have been notified several times that I haven't updated my blog for awhile now...But seriously, during the summer, we LIVE at the pool! For some reason, right around Memorial day, my boys' limbs turn into fins!=)

As much as we LOVED the summer, there is still something refreshing about the change back into routine. I guess God knew what he was doing when He created the four seasons!

So the boys started back to school this past Tuesday. They are also starting the YMCA Latchkey program which is an absolute answer to prayer. N especially has been looking forward to school and counting down the days. J was excited but not as verbal about it as his big brother. J is in 2nd grade this year and has Mrs. E who is the mom of his 1st grade teacher, Mrs. N! This year, N is in 3rd grade and has a different Mrs. N. He is ecstatic because he gets a "binder" this year! Apparently, that is the symbol of being one of the "big" kids...LOL!


On the first day of school, I walked in with them to meet their teachers, as I do every year. Usually, there is a series of hugs and kisses. Imagine my awe/anguish as my oldest son says "Have a good day, Mom!" and takes off for the gym to line up for morning assembly! I stared after him in disbelief!! My youngest did great with a hug, a kiss, and another hug....and didn't cling to me!

As I was leaving the school, I noticed the parents that live within walking distance, and saw they weren't walking as far WITH their child this year. It has certainly been interesting watching everyone growing up!

Does this mean I am getting older???

Or just closer to parental freedom??? =)

5 comments:

shakedust said...

It means that they are getting older. :)

Jadee said...

Just wait your turn, Dust!!!

Make sure that you add a box tissues to baby N's kindergarten supply list...for Mom!!

GoldenSunrise said...

Yeah, it's going to be hard enough leaving him home with T so I can go back to work.

T said...

I think it means that you are getting older AND closer to personal freedom!

It's tough as we go through transitional times with our kids. I was surprised how emotional it was when c went to kindergarten. I mean, I had been sending N to school for 4 years already, so it shouldn't have been a big deal, but it still got to me.

This year they both got up, got dressed, made their lunches, took their medicine and walked to school calling me when they got there. Dash and I were home getting ready/leaving for work. It's like we all just jumped back into our old routine as if we had only been on pause all summer!

Tonights the real test. We'll see how well they do with school all day and homework for the first time in months!

G. I had a neighbor watch N when I first went back to work. She was only a few months old. I cried. It's tough when your heart is somewhere else.

Jadee said...

Well, Golden, it is very hard to find good childcare...but I can tell you that next to being with MOM all day is being with Auntie T!

(Just think of how much experience she has with my two boys who are "both-hands-ful"!!)